Saturday, December 12, 2009

Seasons Greetings!



The Saturday after Advent 2




Just when you thought it was safe to unwrap the creche, the dreaded secular humanist bogeyman pops out of an AP news item to whiz in the eggnog. In an article titled: Atheists at Christmas: Eat, Drink and be Wary, benighted infidels complained about "the omnipresence of Christmas" and the downside of being atheists. Omnipresence? Downside? Pleeeeease.  If I were a tacky fire-breathing "undermentalist" I'd thunder back: "Hey you bozos, just you wait:  threescore more years and you'll get plenty of Omnipresence and a lot more downside." And it'll be hot.



Atheist debating society.
"Is not. Is. Is not. Is. Is not."

"Is that your final answer?"

The author is on the left [er, standing].



In truth, having read the article,  I'm heartened. Can anyone feel seriously threatened by imbeciles like this: one man, grousing about his 92 year old mother, offers this bit of sententiae  ""She wants me to come back to God, but I can't because he never existed." Or this from a 47 year old aspiring archaeologist ruminating on Christmas trees: "Food, we like. Presents, we like. Seeing family, we like. Sacred trees are an ancient custom. It's pretty, it smells nice and it's pagan." I guess that means there'll be a tree. Which begs the question--just what kind of star does an atheist top his tree with? Answer: a black hole.

My favorite, though, is this little gem proffered by a retired marketing executive from Chrysler's Plymouth division [Didn't that used to be a car brand?]. "What we're celebrating this year is the promise of the sun returning. That's S-U-N, not S-O-N." Well, lets hope Chrysler returns too. That's spelled "F-I-A-T". As in divine fiat.

This kind of drivel is mind numbing. But you must be very careful. Atheists can be sneaky devils. When I finished reading the article, I realized they had managed to accomplish their stated goal. By God, I felt sorry for them! On the other hand, if these are Dawkins' raiders, the Pope doesn't need battalions. One penguin with a ruler will do nicely, thank you.


Translation: "To hell with you!"

I believe somewhere in scripture [actually, I know exactly where:  it's St. Matthew 16:18] we are reminded that even the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church. And while I can appreciate all the good Christian folk running around trying to put the Christ back into Christmas; my advice is, give it up. He never left. And all the doo-wah versions of  Silent Night blaring in all the malls swarming with all the fiscally stimulated consumers can't take Him away.

Yes, sacred trees are an ancient custom. We Christians have one too. And it ain't a Christmas tree.



Bye bye Wayne. Bye bye.


It ain’t those parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, 
it is the parts that I do understand.”
Mark Twain























No comments:

Post a Comment