Wednesday, December 2, 2009

May the Force be with you


The Wednesday After Advent 1


"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. " Han Solo

"I find your lack of faith disturbing". Darth Vader



In the November 28 issue of The Economist, there's an article of interest entitled "Missionary Positions". If you thought things on the religious front couldn't get wackier, it's revealed [no pun intended] that in the last UK census, some 390,000 Britons gave their religion as "Jedi"--thus establishing "Jedism" [sic] as the fourth largest faith in the land. I do not know whether Prince Charles--as Defender of the Faith[s]--knighted Mick Jagger with a light saber, but it's heartening to know that Scientology will now be getting a real run for it's money.

I am tempted to bring up Tertullian's "I believe because it is absurd." but a quote from Chesterton comes more readily to mind: "When a Man stops believing in God he doesn¹t then believe in nothing, he believes anything." I think Darth Vader vestments would work well  for Jedi Requiems, but I am less certain about other times of the Jedist ecclesiastical year. If I remember correctly, there are only 3 real colors in Star Wars: black, white and brown. And of course, in this far, far away galaxy the good guys wear brown. I have always wondered whether Yoda was a Franciscan, and one day when I am standing toe to toe with the Big Guy, I am certain this little matter will be cleared up. I always liked the little guy [meaning Yoda] and wish him all the best in his new role as Apostle.

I once supposed that Oscar Wilde's observation that "Life imitates art." was merely benign. Now I am not so sure. I hate to give Oscar credit for anything; yea,verily, verily, it turns out Oscar was a Jedi prophet!

He who has ears to hear, let him hear:

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars."
--Oscar Wilde

Here endeth the reading of the lesson for the day.


“Only the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of our weakness."
St. Yoda

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! Especially "If God is your co-pilot..." Pax Christi.

    ReplyDelete